Thursday, September 21, 2006

A New Book and The Knitting Comunity at Large

Another day of knitting is coming to an end. I picked up a copy of “Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns”. It is published by Sterling Press. It has dozens of patterns and is brightly colored. It is a neat little book. In addition to the color pictures of there are charts and written patterns. There is also a legend for each of the charts directly next to it. I haven’t seen many books with all four of these elements together. And it’s only fifteen bucks. Most of the patterns are in Vogue Knitting Stitch books. Well there are not many books with over five hundred patterns in it.

On other subjects my projects continue to come along slowly.

I do think I am going to try and go to one knitting group that I have not been to every other week. I am traveling by bus so I imagine some of the groups will be harder to get to then others. I am not sure why I think this is a good idea. The Knitting Community at large is more active then I can ever recall it being.

What worries me is that it has definitely gone through cycles. With the exception of the Circus I cannot think of any group (apart from the Amish) that need to knit. I hate to think that this outpouring of excitement is a passing fad. Unfortunately, history would say otherwise.

I was talking with a woman in her fifties who noticed I was knitting. She stated that she knit in the late sixties and gave it up when it was not longer popular. I suppose there will always be ebbs and flows. I suppose I learned to knit at a low point in it’s popularity. So I figure I will continue to do it regardless. And it certainly it is not as popular among men as it once one.

Well I just wonder how long this current high will last. I suppose all I can do is just be part of it while it lasts. And when I am telling an apprentice they have to knit ten or fifteen years from now I can tell them this was once popular. And that if they are luck they will get to be a trend setter when it is popular again.

Well I am not sure where that ramble was going. Be safe out there and keep your stick on the ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have wondered the same thing about the recent popularity in knitting. Except I worry that I will not maintain the hobby once the high has ended...I guess I am somewhat of a slave to public opinion. :( Although I think my level of addiction may soon reach the point where lack of popularity will not even matter. I am even considering turning down an invitation for tonight so I can stay home (by myself) and knit.

BTW, I have been lurking and enjoying your blog for a little while now. It is great to see a guy that is man enough to knit in public!

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo