Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I need to fix a couple things around this Blog & More on the the new Knitting Culture

Any way as it was pointed out to me some of the picture button clicking gizmos are missing from some of my links. I never did get around to loading up a few of them. So here are the ones that I did not load up.


Webrings are something that I have not done alot of. Some Blogs you visit and they have links to literally dozens of Web Rings. It is another part of this new knitting culture That I would like to understand better.

As I have been noticing the internet has shaped or maybe simply been used as a tool by this new knitting culture. As I am occasionally told, some of my views are the views that an old time knitter might hold. I suppose that may be because those who taught me to knit made Zimmerman look like a left wing knitter crazy. Although I still think they had good reason to shun circular needles and natural fibers because of what they were doing.

Oh sure there are still the Yarn Snobs and Knitting Nazis that there have always been. With the internet added to the mix the smaller groups in the knitting world are able to look out and find others like them. I am still looking for a clown knitting ring but I digress. Groups are doing new and innovative things that were once considered wrong by the knitting establishment. And groups are so specialized that some things that were once neglected are being experimented with in depth.

I have found dozens of people that are working on those fingerless gloves on the internet. And now when there were once a few patterns there are dozens freely being shared. The same is true for many other things in this knitting cyberworld that has breached the convention that some may have though stagnated the knitting world.

I friend of mine was telling me that there is an internet group that is trying to get the old British Sci Fi series the Tomorrow People on DVD (and if you have heard of this you are a huge nerd). Similar groups have probably saved series like Dr. Who and made Sci Fi in general more main stream. At one point the major networks would only dabble with Sci Fi once and while. Now for five or six years there have been several offerings of various degrees of quality.

I have been lamenting that this current trend in popular knitting is probably doomed like all the other rises and falls in Knitting History. Perhaps this new element of cyberspace is what is needed to stabilize that trend. Oh am sure that ten years from now we will not be getting the newspaper coverage that we are now. Still, even if this bubble of popularity slows down I have hope that the internet will keep innovation and maybe even a chunk of that knitting community going through the next slow time. Maybe even hold off the next slow time all together.

Be safe out there and keep you stick on the ice.



3 comments:

Stephieface said...

It was said that knitting was the "it" thing about 10 years ago.... then it was said again 5 years ago.... and I just saw it recently- but I have yet to see the drop off or the inevitable death of the knitting craze. Or perhaps I just brought it on by saying it.
I think nowadays people search for something to bring them together, and knitting is more productive than watching Lost or Survivor, and a tad more creative than reading the newest bestseller on Oprah's reading list. With the current trends to simplify lives and get back in touch with roots and whatnot... I don't think knitting will suffer a backlash or decline- I think it will however become on par with eating granola and owning an organic produce mart.... just something a person of a certain ilk is expected to do.

*shrug*

DDancer said...

"I friend of mine was telling me that there is an internet group that is trying to get the old British Sci Fi series the Tomorrow People on DVD (and if you have heard of this you are a huge nerd)."

OMG! If this is true I really REALLY need a copy! Please let me know if this ever does come out!

And yes, I am a nerd.

Z said...

I hope knitting stabilises and no longer has ups and down as well

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo