Sunday, October 01, 2006

New Ring, Wooden Needles, a Desperate cry for Opinions and Other Madness

I did a little more sprucing up on the blog today. Fixed a couple links, added a fish and a new blog that I contribute to. By the way please stop by my wife’s new blog. Even though she is Crotcheter, I still love her regardless. We are still working on the blog, it will come together over the next week or two. And if you like watching something come together this is an opportunity to do so. By the way she opted for a cat. I must admit the cat is a little more exciting than my fish.

Stephieface has got me thinking. Do I need a button thing for my blog. I have put together a couple for other blogs and even entered one in Steph’s contest. If anyone would actually want one I would probably have to make one. I am sure it would be something dignified and reserved. Well, maybe not.

Charity knitting, at Knit 1, was nice today as well. I began a reddish scarf done in super bulky on 15s. It has a knit boarder with a checked interior. I think I may put it in the booklet as well depending on what it looks like. I have about a foot done on it and will probably post when I have finished some more.

By the way if anyone is available Sunday’s between 1 and 4 PM stop by Knit 1. It is a good time and there is free yarn for projects benefiting The Salvation Army’s Family Shelter. There is also coffee and witty conversation.

Onto other fun things tomorrow is Hive Knitting at 7:00 PM at the Bee Hive on the South Side. The not so subtle Advert on my side bar is also a link to our blog. When we have a couple members of the group with blogs we will even have a web ring. We are getting all connected with the internet and technology type things. As always if anyone has an idea of what we should do next let me know.

Knit 1 Blog Too has allowed me to join their net ring. You can see they are posted on the side bar to the side. They are getting close to having 30 members. According to their page I am the first male knitter. If you are looking for a new ring to join this appears to be an up and coming one. They also have a blog to post on if you are interested.

I am also curious about people who use wooden needles. I did a good bit of carpentry in the circus and I have been experimenting with wooden knitting needles. I think I have settled on a nice tip for the needles. It is not pointed like a Turbo knitting needle. It has a slightly beveled point that catches the yarn very nicely. I have not seen a great many needles with this type of point. I do not know if that is because it is new or unpopular. I am having the most thoughts about the type of wood that it should be. Pine and the soft wood are out because they are too soft to reliable hold their points. Oak is too hard to work with in the smaller needles. So I am thinking poplar, cherry, birch or walnut. Birch does appear to be the most popular wood for knitting needles out there. At the moment I am considering different finished. For experimenting I am using birch because it is easy to get. Rosewood is hard to find in dowels.

Well I am also thinking about ways to finish the needles. Several people are suggesting to use acrylic paint and then waxing the needles. I think I am going to experiment with spar varnish. If it is good enough to preserve wood on an ocean going vessel it should be strong enough for knitting needles. In another month I should have a good plan for making a good and durable set of wooden needles.

So everyone say hello to my fish, and come to Hive Knitting Tomorrow. The first person to get the Lance Lawson Cartoon will get their name mentioned on the blog.

Be safe out there and keep your stick on the ice.

No comments:

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo