Sunday, April 29, 2007

More of My Opinion on Stuff Everyone Should Care About, Kind Of

A good day was had knitting at Knit 1. I am least half way through the Prayer Shawl for the Brigade. I will post pictures when I finish it. We want to have it finished for a weekend church event. This will give us a chance to show some people in our denomination this new ministry.

Both Flo and our Mystery Male Knitter worked on icord for The Marley. We are a quarter of the way through the yarn for The Marley. Even at the rate we are going we will have The Marley done by the Fiber Fest. Life is good.

To ramble on a bit Knitting on the Internet. I am writing an article on Clown Knitting for the KnitWiki site. I hope to post the basic explanation tonight. After that will be sections on Long Scarves, Multi person Sweaters and Long Sweaters. I am digging through my old equipment looking for examples of each of these items. I am sorry to say I don’t have any of the sweaters any longer. Well I suppose that is a good excuse to make some up. I will have to check on my terminology and such to make certain I am presenting everything as it should be.

When I have a bit more time I will add a link to this site KnitWiki site. Never the less it is an important thing for the greater knitting community. I cannot go enough about how there should be this type of resource. This is the sort of thing that gives longevity to something like knitting. You may have heard me muse from time to time about whether knitting is a fad or making an honest come back.

Knitting like many things has gone in and out of fashion over the years. Still, there are things that were once unpopular that have made a permanent come back. I myself will always have to knit because I need unique items. Hobbies that last have an infrastructure that keep them going strong. At one point it was hard to find a good yarn shop in some cities. Now a city the size of Pittsburgh has several. We always had a couple. Yet the ones that we did have were a niche. Now they are a destination for so many. For many year I have always hunted yarn shops when I was in a new town or city. Many times I was disappointed because there was not one. That sort of disappointment is now rarely the case.

My point, as a wander away from my point, is that knitting is starting to get the depth that will maintain it over many years. It has always had an incredibly strong following of die hards. You simply cannot deny that. And they alone would make certain that someone would always be knitting somewhere. Now like NASCAR knitting is finding converts in places that it never did before. People who did not have parents or grandparents that knit are now knitting. Men who were told that it is girly as children are doing it. The KnitWiki is yet another layer of that depth. I encourage everyone to contribute articles and tell your friends about it. This is a good thing.

Be safe out there and keep your stick on the ice.

No comments:

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo