Thursday, June 14, 2007

A New Ring - Old Fears

Long time readers of this blog know that I am a a soldier in The Salvation Army. I recently came across a ring for members of The Salvation Army. I had yahooed and googled such a thing a couple times and did not find it. I happened to run across it while looking for something else.


It is odd to find such a thing. That is because we do not appear to use the internet to it's full potential. With the exception of Metal and Knit and a clown from New Foundland I have never heard a member of my church that has a blog. Perhapse it is simply something that has not caught on in America. I have also noted that most of the Blogs are in the England Scotland, Australia and Cananda. I would have thought that America would had quite a few. Apparently we do not or they have not found this ring.


I have spent the better part of the last five years trying to get into our seminary. This is long and drawnb out process sometimes. My wife, who was already commission took ten years to get into our seminary. The current General of our Army was rejected on his first try to get into training. Well, that is what I am told I do not know if it is true. My two favorite people in our history Samueal Logan Breangle and Joseph Garabedian were rejected multiple time each. Brengle for being too smart and Garadien for being weird. Such things give me comefort in my current rejection.


I have not talked about this for multiple reasons. Number one it is not really that upbeat. I have tried to keep this a positive blog. Number two and possible more importantly I have not found that it is a very good testimony.


In the Army we love to give our testimony of how we came to the Army or came to Christ. I came to Christ in the noraml way. My mother took me to church. For those that know me this story is slightly more complicated but I digress. I went to sunday school became a deacon and life was good. When I was one the road clowning I found that my denomonation did not like stranger or wierd people. I would go to other church and was often turned away. The church that was least likely to turn me away was The Salvation Army. If this was the end of my testitmony it would be a pretty good one.


Unfortunately it is not. I met my wife serving with The Army at the Shanksville site of 9/11. We fell in love dated a couple times and decided we wanted to get married. My wife was an officer and in the Army and officers have to get permission to get married. Our Divisional said yes with the stipulation that I go to training and she would loose her rank. I also had to join her at her church and work with her. All of these thing we did. And then a couple month later our divisional commander stated that my wife was going to look her Corps. He main reason was that he did not want a woman to be in charge of our marrage. He also wanted to reduce the stress on us during our first year of matrimony.


In our first year of being married we had to move three times to three differnt divisions and two territories. It turned out to be one of the most stressful years of my life.

No comments:

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo