Monday, June 11, 2007

Back in Town


I am happy to be back among the knitters of Pittsburgh. There were not many knitters at our event in Hershey. If you are into Chocolate then this was the best Congress ever.
If you are familiar with The Army then you know what this event is. If you are not then this is a big church gathering. Members of the Army from all over the Eastern Territory were there to fellowship with one another. It was truly an awesome event. In a church when the average Corps has fewer than a hundred people it is really impressive to see that many people in uniform at one time.
This was also the Commissioning of this year class of officers. In our church that is what we call our ministers. Most seminary that I have been to their graduation it is a relatively subdues affair. In The Army we rent a Stadium and bring as many people as we can jam into it. It is much more like the graduation of the Naval Academy than it is a seminary. It is still solemn and one of our holiest gathering.
It was even more special because the General commissioned this class of officers personally {The General is like our Pope}. During the Call to Officership my wife and I got to shake his hand. All and all it was a special time.
We had concerts one with Rebbecca St. James and lots of other stuff. We even had the Kids from North Side Corps in the Bible Bowl Finals. Not bad for a Corps that once could not put together a Bible Bowl Team.
Be safe out there and Keep your Stick on the ice.


2 comments:

metal and knit said...

I guess the lead towards officership for both you and your wife is not only a wonderful time but can also be daunting. From reading your blog over time I know that you are being led to college and will make a wonderful mission partner wherever you may be sent maybe even to teach clowning skills to Aussie Music camp kids.

Commissioning with the General is always a special time. Although I find they are too much for me to attend these days. Our last one had the parade of officers dating back to the 1920's with Brigadeer Mrs Woodberry at 102 years young.

"Here am I dear Lord send me, send me. Use me when or wherever or how you best see Here am I dear ?Lord send me" SA SATB Songsters song sorry name escaped me now

metal and knit said...

I can let you know that it was a Sessional Song for the Eastern Territory AUST cadets in the 80's to 90's an arrangement of Howard Davies and was called Send Me.

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo