Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Random Knitting and Intenet Things.

Yet another good day was had knitting. i spent the better part of the day fixing some plumbing. Still, i had time to work on chemos caps.

I have been playing around with a 1 piece vest pattern to teach in a machine knitting class. It is like a sweater vest pattern that we used to use in the circus. making it into a vest gives one a chance to use several different functions on the machine as well as button holes. There is strange sort of satisfaction starting a project during the evening new and have it done before prime time tele. I know I know the hand knitters would say that this is going to the dark side. Still, what do I care?

Anyway this week will be a good week for knitting. I will have to meet the South hills village knitting group. I will get to go the Homestead Waterfront Knitting group though. So that will give me my fix for the week. We had a good day at hive Knitting Yesterday. There were eight of the usual suspects and great fun was had by all. We are now finaly up to the point that with some extra lighting we have solved all of the drawback of that location. And now with the smoking ban going into effect even the most sensitive knitter will not be bothered to attend our group. I had a lovely day eating at a Primantti brother during the lunch rush down town. I almost always avoid this place during peak hours because of the tremendous amount of smoke. Most of the patrons were complaining about the fact that they could not light up with their heart attack sandwiches.

For those from outside the area Primantti Brother is a Corner Stone of Pittsburgh Cuisine. It is a giant fried sandwich on white bread with french fries and Cole slaw. The french fries and Cole slaw are placed directly on the sandwich. If you ate one of these for lunch everyday you would be dead inside of two months if you are lucky. These restaurants also have a bar in most of them. So in addition you get heart failure you used to get enough second hand smoke to send smoke signals all the way to California. I usually go into this place at off times because I like the food. Anyway I am happy.

Back to Hive Knitting I good evening was had. The class as the Hive are also going fairly well. I have had half a dozen students that have come for at least two classes. We are doing basic stuff, knit, purl cast on cast off and the like. It is odd to be teaching knitting outside a clown setting. Firstly when you make your first scarf you stop after a couple skeins. A clown would keep on going until that have use all the yarn in one color from a yarn shop.

Also the sleeves on your first sweater would be six the twenty feet long. Well I guess I will have to settle for normal mundane knitting items.

I am still working on the knitting book. I was trying to put together simple how to pamphlet with a few projects. Then again last year I was trying to train a couple clown to visit a hospital once and while. Now we have a clown troop. Well the knitting book project has been getting a bit more complicated. It is become an actual book. I will finish it by the end of May or chop it down to something usable by then,. Still it would be kind of cool to write a book in this area.

Well i will keep you posted. Be safe out there and keep your stick on the ice.

2 comments:

DDancer said...

Alas, the smoking ban went under injunction again at 5pm. So folks can still smoke if the establishment allows.

GRRRRRRRRR

Mouse said...

I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian (Philly)and that samwich sounds right up my alley.. I'm forever freaking out my Southern hubby by putting coleslaw on my turkey samwiches.
After being away from home for many years I was shocked to see how many places still had a 'smoking' section - and rather disturbed at the thought of sitting my son in a smoke filled restaurant so he could enjoy some cancer-ridden smoke with his meal. To think I grew up exposed to all of that!

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo