Friday, March 30, 2007

Machine Heads - Needle Heads

Having some problems with my ISP last night. So I didn’t get to post. Carol got through her operation with out any ill effects they will not have the results for a couple weeks. So keep her in your prayers.

I have not done much hand knitting recently. Between the icrod maker and the Knitking that I am still working on learning I have not had time. I have discovered a dark undercurrent in the Knitting world with my renewed exploration of knitting machines.

Firstly because of my position in the clowning world for many years I hand knit because I was moving around so much. We did have a couple Brother’s Knitting Machines. These were used to produce sweaters and the odd clown prop.

I did use our machines on occasion. I found them useful and liked them. Until recently I did not have one of my own. So my knitting was limited to the hand variety while I was in the real knitting world in the last few years. In the circus no one cared how you did something as long as you did it. There was never a mention of cheating while doing something if you are using a machine. I realize that ninety percent of the people who have accused me of cheating were joking. This is one of the things that I like about the real knitting world.

What I was not aware of was the fact that some hand knitters hate machine knitters. Furthermore some machine knitter hate hand knitters. I mean hate like a Red Neck at a N.W.O. convention. I was shocked. Of course you expect the off Kook in any group of people. Still, this is a burning hatred that cannot be quenched. What can you do. I you don’t hear from me it means that one of these factions has go me for straddling the fence.

Be safe out there and keep your stick on the ice.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Hi--I'm visiting for the first time (linked from the Yarn Harlot) and will be back, often. Tell you what, I'm another one that will use a knitting machine for certain items, knit right or left handed, and will use straight, double-points and circular needles whenever I feel like it. I'm guessing someone will be after me, too!

Lady Dragonsinger said...

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/

You made the Yarn Harlot's blog!! WOOT! :D Congrats!

Miss Knotty said...

I don't understand your line about keeping your stick on the ice - is that a hockey reference or is there another stick that one keeps on ice... like a swizzle stick or something?

Anyway, I am a hand-knitter and not a machine knitter (never having had access to a knitting machine and also never having opportunity).

That said, The idea of being able to crank out a sweater in superspeed is cool. If you're a process knitter, like myself, you'll appreciate the feel of the wool as it goes through your fingers, the click clack of the needles as they touch together, the look and feel and weight of the fabric as it hangs from the needles. This is why I knit. I love the feeling, I love the process. (But I won't deny that I'm a little curious about machine knitting. That would sure beat finishing this sweater I've got going.

Have a great one, and God Bless. I read about you on the Yarn Harlot's website and I wanted to say that it's a good work that you do. I'm personally afraid of clowns, but I know a lot of kids love them (and grown-ups too), and it takes a very special kind of love for people and kids to want to subject oneself to that. Kudos.

-Miss Knotty

Anonymous said...

Holy heck, Steven! I leave you alone for two days and you get like a whole friggin section on The Harlot! Like half the post! How's that for Marley publicity!

-Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hi Zeeppo,

I came across you and your Marley scarf on the Yarn Harlot's blog. I once worked on a giant scarf for a play, but it's probably much smaller than yours. But we did needles whose size I did not believe at the time.

I feel the same about "knitting as the new yoga" thing. Actually, yoga being so trendy is the reason why I don't do it, though I'm sure it's great.

I'll stayed tuned to see the Marley grow! :) And I hope your wife is well.

Sonya said...

I come via the Yarn Harlot. Sorry, just thought that would be an amusing intro. I know what you mean about the hand knitting/machine knitting schism. I do both, but am definitely a hand knitter first, that's how I understand knitting and things can get turned around for me on machines. My daughter got one of the i-cord makers from her grandmother and it is very popular around here. I'm interested in the Marley project. If I can contribute or crank let me know.

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo