Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rambling Ramblings

It has been another busy week. I did not get a chance to go to knitting at the Water Front today. I did work on my wavy scarf some more. I also started some socks. I really need to make something more complicated than scarves. Even if they have been of gigantic proportions.

We had a water pipe break in the house and that has taken some of my attention. I am ready for my class this Sunday and would encourage all the youth reading this to tell your parents that you want to take my class on Sunday. By the way, parents you should not let your children read this blog. It is not that any of the material in this blog is offensive. It is simply a terrible waste of time. Children should be out playing or exploring the world not reading this.

My quest for gainful employment in the Knitting world is still not going very far. I am considering walking around with a sign that says will "Will Knit For Money". I have been taking the time to study up on knitting. In particular I have been reading about the various fibers out there.

With the exception of some wood and bamboo brands that I did not know about there have not been many surprises. I am finding more questions about knitting. Like can you felt with wood fibers. I know you can felt with most natural animal fibers. Although I would imagine plant fiber does not react like animal fibers would. It's fiber would have to be constructed differently. I will probably have to pick up a ball and see what happens next time I am at Knit 1.

Well thanks for tuning in. Be safe out there and keep you stick on the ice.

2 comments:

Stephieface said...

There is this yarn called Tofutsies (you can see it on the kpixie site) and its made from soy and chiton or however you spell it (ground up shellfish shells and whatnot). I tell ya- they'll make yarn from anything.

LaurieG said...

There's yarn made from banana fiber. I also have the fiber (just have to spin it into yarn) made from recycled soda bottles. Plant stuff doesn't felt. No crimp, no scales. Not even all breeds of wool felt. See Suffolk, usually thought of as a meat breed, but lots of the down breeds have the same property. Makes great sock yarn.

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo