Sunday, February 17, 2008

New Charity Knitting

This was the first day of a new knitting group at Natural Stitches. I beleive it has been named knitting for the soul. We had Walt, my wife and myself at the first meeting.

I do miss the knitting at Knit 1 and will probably drop in from time to time. Still, they are not knitting for the Army anymore and about hald the time I am the only person there actually knitting for a chairity. It is sad to see thing pass that were once good. Still, time marches on.

On a personal level I have be very disapointed by how thing have transpired in the knitting world recently. I have to admit the Knit and Crochet Festival was a let down. I was mostly disappointed by the number of peopel that thought the event is some sort of charity fund raiser. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to make a profit off knititng. I am very disappointed that the old websites are still up suggesting that it is a non profit event.

I also deeply regret my part in getting The Army involved in this event. Even though we do not get a portion of the procedes we had a drop off for yarn and items for our Fabric Fair. On Ravelry there were several people that thought the Army was getting money from this thing. This is one of those things that bites you in the rear eventually. I just hope the Army does not get slammed by this when it finally does go south.

I am waiting to find out the last couple detail about that suprise that Natural Stitches is working on. If all goes well I should be able to post about it Monday evening.

It is getting late and I have some work to do on the books. Be safe out there and keep you stick on the ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that anyone minds the shops making a profit, that wasn't the issue. The issue is that the Pgh. Knit and Crochet festival was in the past few years (was this year 4??) was a fundraiser for the Waldorf School. I don't think that is why most people stayed away. The location at Crowne Plaza is very crowded and paying $15 to get in is rather pricey, for a crowded place with no food available. I'm not able to go to MSWF this year either.

Follow me at zeeppo on the twitter gizmo